Get Archery Lessons in Toronto and learn to shoot like a pro!

The Universal Change - Alsea

One day while at a certain place Coyote said, "I want to have fun."

So then he sent messengers to gather the people together, telling each messenger, "I want you to go to all the tribes and tell them: 'I want all the people to come together."'

So each man left for a certain tribe. "You should carefully watch everything. You must correctly announce my message: 'I want that people should assemble from everywhere,"' said Coyote.

Then another messenger prepared to leave to another place, while another was about to start for a different place. "You must constantly watch everything carefully. You must correctly tell them what I want. I want the people to come together from everywhere. You must tell them exactly why I want the people to come together."

And then another messenger was ready to go in a differont direction. "You must go. I want the people to assemble from everywhere."

And finally another prepared himself to go to a different people.

Then they separated; they went separately into all directions. Soon each messenger came to a village and the noise of the people resounded everywhere, because all sorts of things were being done in the village. The first messenger arrived at his destination. Everything was being done in that village; people were playing shinny, some were shooting arrows at a target, some were playing the guessing game, many were dancing. Then the first messenger announced, "I come here as a messenger. Mo'luptsim'sla is inviting all the people to assemble from all the regions of the world. For that reason I have come here."

Then the second messenger arrived at his destination; again the noise of the people resounded everywhere. Many, indeed, were the people. They were shooting at a target, they were playing shinny. The third messenger came to a village. Everything was being done in the village: some were spinning tops, some were playing with strings, some were spearing, some were walking on stilts, many were making poles and some were fixing chisels. Then he announced: "I have come here as a messenger. I am Coyote's messenger. He desires that all people should assemble from all the regions of the world. I am Coyote's messenger. You should take along with you all your various playing utensils. For that reason I have come here."

Similar messages were then delivered at five other villages; in these villages everything was being done. Then the last messenger delivered his message: "You must keep good track of the days, for on the fifth day the counting sticks will be made ready. You must carefully watch the days go by: after ten counting sticks are gone then you should come."

In each village all sorts of games were being played and the messengers almost forgot to go back. All sorts of preparations were being made everywhere.

Finally the messengers began to return to where their chief was living. On the fifth day the counting sticks were made ready.

"Did you tell my message correctly?" asked Coyote.

"Yes! All sorts of preparations are being made and people are having joyful times: they are playing shinny, they are shooting at targets, they are playing the guessing game"

"These are the things I wanted; this is why I want the people to assemble."

And now food was brought from every region of the earth while many things were done by others: they were having fun, some of them were playing shinny, others were shooting at targets. And all sorts of things were being fixed: shinny clubs were being made, arrows were being made, bows were being made, spears were being fixed. Pretty soon the counting sticks began to fill up and everybody was joyous. All sorts of preparations were made and the counting sticks were being continually counted. Everything was being fixed: knives were being made, shinny clubs were being made, bows were being made.

"I want the counting sticks to disappear." Coyote went here and there among the inhabitants, continually advising his people: "Do you, please, carefully watch yourselves when the people assemble! You must always guard yourselves well. You know that the people I've invited are the strongest tribes, because they know all sorts of stratagems. This is why I'm always reminding you, 'You must guard yourselves carefully.' Your hearts must be very strong. As soon as the dawn arrives you must practice, and practice constantly, among yourselves. You must do all sorts of things. And then, when the people assemble, you must watch yourselves carefully. Your spirits must not be low when the people will arrive. They are a different people; you do not even know what manner of people they are. Therefore, you will have to watch yourselves carefully. You must not be even a little downhearted after the people arrive; your hearts must be strong at all times. I know everything. No one can ever beat me through cleverness; that is why I'm not afraid, because I know everything."

"Now we know you," they answered. "Therefore, our hearts will be strong again, because we know you. You know everything. We will bet all our property when the people arrive, because we know you. Your name is Motluptsim'sla. No one has ever overcome you, because 'Unconquerable' is your name. You know everything. We are going to bet all our property."

"Just keep on practicing among yourselves," Coyote answered. "There is only one tribe of Indians, and they are very strong, because I know them. No one has ever prevailed over them. Their hearts are very, very strong."

All sorts of things were being made ready; arrows were being made. Not long afterwards the counting sticks were coming to an end. But Coyote never remained motionless; he just moved here and there: "As soon as they arrive you will have to watch yourselves carefully all the time. There is only one tribe I do not know. Their hearts are very strong. They know everything. Therefore, you must constantly keep good watch over them. No one has ever beaten them."

At last the counting sticks began to decrease. The hearts of the villagers were very glad, because all sorts of games were going to be played.

"I know all those people; I know people from everywhere," were Coyote's words. "Do you keep on practicing among yourselves every day."

All sorts of preparations were being made. "It will not be long before they finally arrive. I know everything. I am not afraid. My name is 'Unconquerable.'"

And they made all sorts of preparations.

It will not be long before the counting sticks will come to an end.

All these people continually practiced among themselves; they practiced all their future actions. Now, as the people were arriving, one man would come first. The minds of the villagers were glad, for all sorts of things were going to be done; therefore, the people felt glad in their own minds.

At last the people came. The counting sticks were all gone. All the people prepared to assemble. First, one man came and announced that they were about to arrive. Coyote constantly walked around here and there. The people were about to arrive in large numbers. They were all glad in their own minds, because everything was going to be done.

Now people came in large numbers; they were finally arriving. All the people began to assemble; different people began to assemble, just all sorts of tribes. At last people arrived in great numbers.

Then Coyote would continually say, "I want you to have all sorts of fun. For that reason I desired that people should assemble from everywhere. We will play for a long time; we will continually play various games."

At last the people had assembled in great numbers. "We will first play shinny."

So the shinny ball was placed on the ground. "You must carefully watch over my people, while we are playing shinny."

All sorts of things were being worn; all the shinny players had feathers on. Finally the shinny ball was placed on the ground. In vain it would be hit by a player for it did not go anywhere. So then a person from the other side would hit it, but the ball would only move a little. The people would cheer and shout from all sides whenever the shinny ball moved a little. Then another player would strike at it again. It was hit, but he would be told: "You don't know how to play shinny! You're a moron playing shinny! You don't play it right, and yet you want to play shinny!"

Then the ball would be hit again by some player from on the other side. Still, the ball goes a little ways. Then Coyote would say, "See? I've been telling you you can't play shinny! There! Do it now."

Not long afterward they were about to stop playing shinny. "We will stop now. Friend! We will shoot at targets with arrows. You wilt fix the target (and) we will begin to shoot."

So everybody started to shoot at the target. Coyote's people would say, "That friend has good arrows, they are well painted. Friend, give me your arrows!"

And then he'd reply, "You must win the arrows from me. You must gain from me all my arrows to-day. We two will have all sorts of fun this day."

All sorts of things were being done by the assembled people. The noise made by the people resounded everywhere. Then everybody began to dance. The people were painted in all sorts of ways; the dancing people were painted in different ways. Not long afterward they stopped. Then they began practicing pole spearing. A bundle of tied-up grass would be thrown upward, and it would be speared while it was still in the air. One man especially speared very well; he was always hitting the target. Two other people were also continually hitting the grass.

Not long afterward, this game also came to an end. Then Coyote said, "It won't be long before we will stop; after we stop we will assemble at another place."

Then the people assembled in great numbers. And now Coyote said, "I want all the people to put on this horn. I want to see on whom the horn will best fit."

Then Coyote took it and walked around here and there. But some one shouted, "Hey, my friend! It could never fit you."

So he took the horn off and said, "I want you to try it, my friend, Kingfisher."

Then Kingfisher put it.on, but Coyote said, "Hey! It does not look good on you, my friend Kingfisher. Your name will just be Noise-Maker. You must always be spearing salmon. Now you must wear it, my friend," said Coyote to Crane.

So Crane put it on. He walked around, but attempted to go to the ocean, so Coyote said to him: "It does not look good on you, take it off. Your name will be just Crane. You will habitually wade around for mudcats. Continuous-Wader will be your name."

Then he spoke to Pelican, and Pelican put it on, but he attempted to fly into the ocean. "Hey, my friend! It does not fit you. Your name will just be Pelican, you will scoop out smelt; your name will be only Pelican."

Then Coyote said to Diver, "You will wear it, my friend." Then he put it on, but he only attempted to go to the ocean. "Hey, my friend! It does not look good on you. Diver will be your name."

Then he spoke to Sand-Hill Crane. "You will put it on, my friend." So he put it on. "Hey, my friend! It does not look good on you, my friend. Your name will just be Sand-Hill Crane. You will eat blueberries; you will continually pick blueberries only. You will live only on lakes; Sand-Hill Crane will be your name."

And then Coyote spoke to White Swan, "You will be wearing it." So he put it on, but continually made the sound 'kongkong.' "Hey, my friend! Take it off again. Your name will be White Swan; you will just live on lakes."

Then he spoke to Vulture. "Do you wear it, my friend."

"I do not like it, my friend. It probably won't fit me, my friend."

"Oh, my friend! I want everybody to put it on."

Then Vulture put it on. "Hey, my friend! You don't look good in it. Vulture will be your name. You will always live in the mountains. Your speech will leave you; your name will be Vulture."

Then Coyote spoke to Night-Owl: "You will wear it, my friend. We do joyful things." So then he put it on but began to say 'wo-wo.' "Hey, my friend! This won't work, take it off again. Your name will be only Night-Owl."

Then Coyote said to Buzzard, "You will put it on my friend." And Buzzard put it on, but he only attempted to fly. "Hey! It does not fit you, my friend; take it off. Your name will be only Buzzard."

Then Coyote spoke to the Day Owl, "You will put it on, my friend. You will be the one to wear it, my friend." Then, indeed, he put it on, but merely said 'la-mi-su.' "Hey, my friend! Take it off; it does not fit you. Your name will be only Day Owl; you will live on mountains; you will travel only at night."

Then Coyote spoke to Screech Owl, "You will wear it, my friend." So Screech Owl put it on but kept on saying 'yipa-yusla.' "Hey, my friend! It does not fit you, you must take it off again. Your name will be only Screech Owl. You will live inside the forests."

Then he spoke to Eagle, "Here! You will wear it, my friend." So he began to wear it. "Hey! It does not look good on you, my friend. Your name will be Eagle only."

Then he spoke to Woodpecker, "You will put it on, my friend." And Woodpecker put it on but merely kept on saying 'kahanek.' "Hey, you must take it off again, my friend. Your name will be Woodpecker only; you will always peck at trees."

And then Coyote said to Wolf, "Hey, my friend, you will try to wear it." Then, indeed, Wolf put it on. But he did not go far, when he began to act bashful.

"Hey! Do not be bashful, my friend! You must wear it." So then he put it on again, but he just said, 'qatsi-lee.' "Hey, my friend! It does not fit you. Why are you always ashamed, my friend? Why do you not move up and down? I want you to run." So he began to run. "Hey, it does not fit you even a little, my friend. Your name will be only Wolf. You must take it off again, my friend. You will travel all over the mountains. Wolf will be your name."

Then Coyote said to Cougar: "Hey, my friend! You must try to wear it. Run around everywhere after you've put it on." Then he ran about. "It does not fit you even a little, my friend. Continuous Roller will be your name. You will merely travel all over the mountains."

And now he spoke to Wildcat: "Hey, my friend! You must put it on. I want to see if it will fit you as you run back and forth."

However, it was very heavy and Wildcat said, "Hey, my friend! I will never be able to wear it. It's just too heavy."

"Hey, my friend! Your name will be Wildcat, you will travel along the various small rivers."

Then he spoke to Bear and Bear tried to put it on. And after he had it on, Coyote repeatedly said to him, "You must run around." Instead, he just attempted to climb up a tree. He was about to climb up a tree when Coyote shouted, "Hey, my friend! It does not look good on you. Your name will just be Bear. You will only pick berries."

And then he spoke to Beaver: "Hey, you put it on, my friend."

"I have never worn it, my friend. If Elk were my name, I might always wear it. I don't like it; I will probably not look good in it."

"Very well, Beaver will be your name," Coyote said to him.

Then he spoke to the Raccoon, "Hey, my friend! You must try to wear it."

"It will probably not fit me, it is very heavy."

But Coyote kept on saying to him, "Now you must put it on just the same."

So then he put it on but gradually it fell forward and bent downward.

"It is very heavy, my friend. I will never be able to wear it."

"All right! Your name will be Raccoon; you will always feel around with thy hands."

Then he spoke to the Land Otter, "Hey, you must try to wear it, my friend."

And Otter said, "Very well, I'll put it on." Then he put it on, but it was very heavy. He headed toward the ocean.

"Hey, my friend! Do not go toward the ocean!"

"I don't want to wear it."

"Since you don't like it, your customary name shall be Land Otter."

So he took it off again.

"Rabbit, my friend, you must try to wear it." Then he put it on and ran with it in all directions. "Hey! You art too lean!"

"I don't like it anyway. How will I be able to go around in the mountains inside the brush? If only my name were Elk, then I could wear it all the time. Only on Elk does it look well."

Then Coyote said to the Deer, "What will your name be?,"

"Oh! 'Brother-to-Him' shall be my name, because Elk is my elder brother."

Then finally Coyote spoke to Elk: "You will wear your feather. Whenever you have it on, you will run around. It will be nothing to you. Even if a place is very bad, you will nevertheless travel on it, even if you have to creep under the trees."

And then Elk ran around; even in bad places he kept on running around. And all the people stared at him, while Coyote said, "'Food' will be your name, and your younger brother's name will be 'Slender.' All the people will eat you two."

It ends at last.

Popular Posts